WHERE & WHEN
Google Meet - code: LHSTutoring
Monday from 2-5pm
Tuesday-Wednesday, 3-6 pm
Thursday, 3-8pm (EXTENDED HOURS!)
click here! for English
click here! for Spanish
No need to schedule an appointment, just join us in person or online!
HOW CAN A PEER TUTOR HELP ME?
Our tutors can help you:
- learn important concepts from your courses
- enhance study skills
- develop strategies to study for tests
We are here to help with specific subjects and classes. Whether it’s explaining concepts in math, English, or the sciences, we help with all aspects of the learning process.
We want to improve your understanding of the subject, not just the current assignment.
WHY IS PEER TUTORING IMPORTANT FOR STUDENTS?
- Lack of Intimidation: Sometimes students feel more comfortable speaking to someone of the same age because they feel intimidated by teachers and do not want to ask questions in front of the class.
- Better Explanation: Sometimes, no matter how many times an adult/teacher tries to explain something, it may not click until somebody of the same age explains it.
- Motivation: Working on homework with a friend can be much more motivating and fun than spending extra time with an adult or teacher.
INTERESTED IN BEING A TUTOR?
The peer tutoring program is beneficial to students in need, but it benefits the tutors, as well. This is because in order to TEACH the tutor must really KNOW the material.
- Sense of accomplishment: It’s rewarding to be able to help another student understand something.
- Building skills: Not only does the tutor polish his or her skills in the subjects, the tutor also builds skills on how to teach and work with others.
- Teamwork: Both the student and tutor learn the value of teamwork. They learn to be supportive and take the time to listen and help their peers.
There are 13 paid tutors on staff. The application process occurs at the end of the previous school year. We do, however, accept volunteer tutors throughout the school year. Community service hours can be earned.
Contact Mrs. Edwards if you are interested in becoming a Peer Tutor!